Run for your life.

10.30.2006

Two Rivers

From Saturday, 10.28.2006:

Eight miles with the team at Two Rivers Park in far west Little Rock. 1:22. A pleasant step back in mileage from the 10 we did last week. For Two Rivers, it was a great day. Fast. Chased my buddy Chris who seems to think that training is racing. I tend to slip into that thinking, too.

Coach Hobbit always says that people either like or dislike Two Rivers, with few feeling ambiguous about it. I dislike it. It's actually a beautiful park and it's pretty neat to run in the dark with cows mooing at you. Unfortunately though, this is the place where I learned that Clif Shot organic energy gel is not for me. Here, I once ran perhaps my fastest and most agonizing mile ever, covered between the time the gel kicked in and the time I reached the PortaPotty at the finish area.


There's obviously more to this story. You obviously don't need the details.


If you're just getting into endurance exercise--walking, running, biking, whatever--know that you'll need to get in the habit of eating and hydrating on the go. Practice with different foods and drinks and learn what works for you. This is what training is for.

After several other failed experiments, including a rough first marathon with HammerGel, Gu and Powergel are now my engery sources of choice. Lots more about these in the coming days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home