Run for your life.

12.27.2006

Need

We did a good hilly 16-miler last Saturday. More on that later.

I haven't had my running shoes on since then. It's been a whirlwind holiday in OKC with family, food, friends, family, food, games, family, and food. All good--excellent actually--but they should be taken in moderation with outings for exercise, which my body and brain are starting to really need.

Add to the mix a trip to the hospital, where we have now spent the majority of the past two days. Waiting. My grandmother woke up with a heart attack yesterday morning and by 10 a.m. had been in and out of surgery to have two stints put in. All in all, a mild event (as mild as a real live heart attack can be) not requiring major surgery, but serious enough for a few days' stay here and also enough to prompt the calling of big family meetings. It's time for the obligatory dialogue about getting she and my Papa Cleo some home health or other assistance. He is 85+ years old and has prostate cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. She is 83 (I think?). She is his main caregiver and can't really continue that at the rate she has been despite fierce determination and independence. She's pretty willing to have the conversation, but there are a lot of chiefs in the room today.

From my perspective, all is well, really. We're hanging out here at the heart hospital, grandfather-dad-mom-sister-aunts-uncles-cousins, just like we'd hang out at her house if this weren't going on. People are getting along and cracking jokes. Waiting on the doctor to come around and release her or not. Waiting since 9 a.m. It's 5 p.m. now.

I'm also waiting to see if I will drive back to AR today. It's looking like not. I miss J and Shiloh and am ready to get home.

AND READY TO RUN.

And I thought those days when I can hardly wait to get out of the office make me antsy.

I.
Need.
To go outside and run.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    How many laps around the hospital makes a mile?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home